Tuesday, May 11, 2010
The Chow Chow
The Chow Chow dog breed produces sturdy and upstanding-looking, squarely built, medium-sized dogs. Chow Chows' looks are certainly not deceiving: the Chow Chow breed is marked by strong muscular development and heavy bone.
Chow Chow's Behavior
Recommended for: house pets
The Chow Chow breed tends to make for a great companion dog. However, many people think there are times that Chow Chows are difficult to train because they are willful and independent. Remember that the Chow Chow dog breed is a herding breed. Herding-breed dogs generally like lots of opportunities to get their paws dirty doing challenging tasks in the outdoors. (Source: Wikipedia.)
Remember that breed only provides a general clue as to any individual dog's actual behavior. Make sure to get to know dogs well before bringing them into your home.
Chow Chow Physical Characteristics
Here are the characteristics of the Chow Chow breed as determined by the American Kennel Club's published breed standard.
* Size: 17 to 20 inches
* Coat: Two types of coat: rough and smooth. Rough: abundant, dense, straight and off-standing overcoat over a soft, thick and wooly undercoat. Smooth: hard, dense, smooth overcoat over a well defined undercoat.
* Color: There are five color varieties: red, black, blue, cinnamon and cream.
* Eyes: dark brown, deep set, wide apart and almond-shaped.
* Ears: small, moderately thick, and triangular.
* Skull: broad and flat.
* Muzzle: broad and well filled out.
* Nose: large, broad and black with well-opened nostrils.
* Tail: high-set.
Chow Chow Origins and History
Here are some quick facts on the history of the Chow Chow breed, based on information from Wikipedia.
Country/Region of Origin: China
Original purpose: Herding, hunting, and guarding. The breed has also been used to pull sleds. People have even killed Chow Chow dogs for their meat and fur.
Name: Means "puffy-lion dog." In its homeland, the Chow Chow breed is referred to as Songshi Quan.
Historical notes: A recent study has indicated that the Chow Chow breed is one of the oldest dog breeds